Weekend is here and I am in a mood of having something non-vegetarian. No,no no not a curry version, I am here with one of my best roasted chicken recipe. Lately, I've started brining the chicken and the result- soft, tender, perfectly flavored chicken! Everybody asks me how I do that! Well now all will know...hehe. Brining is basically soaking chicken in salty water along with other flavours which is optional. It moisten the meat and makes it soft and juicy. Since the day I learned about brining, I am stuck to it and will always be. Well this recipe doesn't have any Indian touch as I wanted to cook something different than the regular. The spices in the brine give the chicken an earthy flavour and the seasoning makes it very delicious. The most important thing about this recipe is that it has very less oil but still it is finger licking good, as they say..haha. I believe food can be tasty even with less or without oil. So, try this recipe someday and don't forget to cook the natural way!!!
You need1kg chicken (preferably meaty pieces)
1 litre water plus 200ml more (1200ml)
1 anise star
3 bay leaves
15 black pepper corns
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (or 1 tablespoon fresh rossemary)
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoon sugar
Ice (enough to cool)
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1-2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
2 tablespoon oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
Method1. In a large vessel, heat the water but do not boil. Put star anise, bay leaves, pepper corns, rosemary, salt and sugar in the hot water. Let them infuse for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile wash the chicken and pat it dry. Keep aside.
3. Now add enough ice to make the water cold.
4. Soak the chicken in the brine for 8 to 15 hours in the refrigerator.
5. Before roasting, prepare the seasoning by mixing all the seasoning ingredients together.
6. Discard the brine and coat the chicken evenly with the prepared seasoning.
7. Roast the chicken at 220 C for 45 minutes or till done. Serve with a salad!