Winters are always in good supply of fresh spinach and everyday I can't resist myself buying these healthy leaves. Today I am here with another healthy but spicy recipe. The poppy seeds and cashews give it a nice nuttiness, spices make it firey yet earthy and greens give it a beautiful herby hint. I 've also added paneer (cottage cheese) to add some richness to the recipe but you can skip it, the recipe tastes great even without paneer. Hope you like it!!!
You need6 medium potatoes (boiled and cut into pieces)
1 cup cottage cheese ( grated or mashed) (click here for homemade cottage cheese)
2 tomatoes ( chopped)
4 medium-sized onions (thinly sliced)
1 inch long ginger (grated)
1 cup chopped spinach leaves (loosely packed)
1/4 cup mint leaves
1/4 cup cashewnuts
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
2-3 dried red chillies
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
2. Wash the leaves. Cook them till water evaporates. Add cashew as well. Blend them all into smooth paste. Keep aside.
3. In a deep pan, heat oil and fry onions till brown, do not burn (Takes 15- 20 minutes). Add ginger, stir few more minutes.
4. Now put only 2 1/2 tablespoon of grounded spices. Store rest in an air-tight jar . Can be used in other dishes.
5. Add in the spinach purée. Cook for few minutes.Add a little water if needed.
6. Put the chopped tomatoes and salt. Cover and cook till tomatoes are done.
7. Lastly add potatoes and paneer. Pour 1/2 cup water and cook for 5 minutes.
8. Enjoy with naan roti or rice!!!